Dunalley

Dunalley is a fishing village built around the man-made Denison Canal, which has a swing bridge over it for road traffic. Dunalley is on the narrow land neck that connects Forestier Peninsula with the rest of Tasmania. Blackman Bay lies to the norh east; Dunalley Bay on Norfolk Bay lies to the south west.

Where Is it?

Dunalley is 57 km east of Hobart, 40 km south of Orford, 26 km south east of Sorell, 22 km north of Port Arthur, on the Arthur Highway.

Things To See And Do

Denison Canal

Denison Canal has been cut between Dunalley Bay and Blackman Bay to allow boats easy access between the two bays. It was originally hand dug. The project started in 1901 and was completed in 1905. In 1965 a new hydraulic swing bridge replaced the original bridge. Today it is common for Sydney-Hobart yacht racers returning to Sydney to use the canal as a convenient shortcut.


Abel Tasman Monument

It was at Tasman Bay on the Forestier Peninsula on 3rd December 1642 that Dutch navigator Abel Tasman sent his carpenter, Visscher, to name the territory Van Diemen's Land after the Governor of Batavia. Neither Tasman nor his hapless carpenter who swam ashore and planted a pole carrying Prince Frederick Hendrick's flag atop had any idea that they were claiming just an island and not the Great Southland. A monument marking the event stands beyond the mouth of Blackman Bay, close to where the landing took place. It is virtually inaccessible by anything other than boat. Another monument is more conveniently located in the Dunalley township.

Surrounding Area

Eaglehawk Neck

As its name suggests, Eaglehawk Neck (28 km south) is a narrow bar between Pirate's Bay to the east and Norfolk Bay to the west. This isthmus joins the Forestier Peninsula and Tasman Peninsula and the former Port Arthur Penal Settlement on which it stands in a narrow strip of land which is less than 100 metres wide. It was here, during the convict penal settlement days, that savage attack dogs were chained from one side of the neck to other within reach of each other to deter prisoners from attempting an escape by land. As a sombre reminder of the location's use, a bronze dog sculpture marks the spot where chained attack dogs were once stationed.

Doo Town

Not far from Eaglehawk Neck is Doo Town, where the residents have become very creative - and funny - by incorporating the word "Doo" into the novel names of their properties. Doo Town is on Pirate's Bay, from which cruises up and down the Tasman Peninsula coastline depart.


Design by W3Layouts | Content © 2013 Phoenix Group Co. | Sales: phone 1300 753 517, email: sales@pleasureholidays.com.au