Though not as well known or frequented as often as its higher and
more famous neighbour, Mt. Wellington, Mt. Nelson is the perfect place
to get an alternate bird's eye of Hobart and surrounds, particularly on
the days when Mt. Wellington is shrouded and mist or snow, which is
quite often. This lookout provides a dramatic panorama of the city even
on days with relatively poor visibility. During the day a visitor can
experience the beauty of the city, river and harbour and at night the
city is studded with twinkling lights. Lunch or teas can be taken at
Contact: (03) 6230 8233. Location: Nelson Road, Mt. Nelson. How to get
there: by car, travel south out of Hobart via Davey St and the Southern
Outlet, take the Mt. Nelson exit at Tolmans Hill along Olinda Grove and
on to the lookout at the end of Nelson Rd.
Mount Nelson was originally named 'Nelson's Hill' by Captain William
Bligh (of Mutiny on the Bounty fame) in 1792 in honour of David Nelson,
the botanist of the Bounty mission, as "he was the first white man on
it" when the Bounty visited 'Van Diemens Land' on its way to Tahiti.
Nelson was one of the Bounty crew who was loyal to Bligh during the
mutiny. He died in Timor on 20 July 1789 of an 'inflammatory fever'
caused by the long open-boat voyage following the mutiny. His funeral
was attended by the Governor and officers from every ship in the
harbour. The name 'Nelson's Hill' was later changed to Mount Nelson.
Most of the modern suburban development in Mount Nelson has taken place
after 1945 when the government encouraged settlement of immigrants
escaping the destruction that took place in Europe after World War II.
During this same period the section of hillface north of the bends on
Nelson Road, which used to be a firing range, was converted into
university farm land for the University of Tasmania.
The main road in Mount Nelson is Nelson Road, which extends up the
mountain from the Wrest Point Hotel Casino in the suburb of Sandy Bay.
It is famously known for its "bends", which consist of seven very sharp
corners created as the road winds its way up the mountain. All seven of
the bends have been given a name. Nelson Road is one of the oldest
thoroughfares in Hobart, being laid as the path to the signal station
not long after the settlement of Hobart.