Tomahawk is a small seaside town overlooking Bass Strait in the
heart of a coastal region characterised by superb beaches, dramatic
sand dunes and attractive, isolated countryside. It is an ideal
destination for people wishing to escape from the hurly burly and have
a peaceful holiday walking on the beach, swimming or fishing.
Where Is it?
Tomahawk is 29 km north west of Gladstone and 40km east of Bridport.
Scottsdale is 20 km to the south. The city of Launceston is 130 km away
A village of around 100 people, Tomahawk has a caravan park,
small shop and a boat ramp, making it a popular holiday
destination during the summer months. Between Tomahawk and Bridport you
will find the world class Barnbougle and Lost Farm golf links.
Tomahawk Beach fronts the small settlement of Tomahawk, with the
Tomahawk River Public Reserve between the beach and houses. The
Tomahawk Road follows the rear of the reserve with a caravan park
located behind the eastern end of the beach and the beach used to
launch small boats at high tide. Around the river mouth conditions
there is at times a low sand spit and elongated lagoon which forms
along the length of the beach.
Mining played a big part in opening up Tasmania's North-East. In
1869 a shephered named Lewey Richardson discovered gold at Lyndhurst.
Tasmania's first Governor and Commander-in-Chief, Du Cane, arrived the
same year and as Tomahawk town was established in 1869 it was named
DuCane. However, it was renamed Tomahawk officially in 1963, as the
river and island bad always been known by that name.
Village Green Camping Area
Village Green Camping Area has outstanding views across the passage
to Waterhouse Island. Enjoy fishing, swimming and boating at this free
campground. Access is from Homestead Rd, turning off 1.4 km east of the
Herbies Landing turn-off. About 1 km in, the track splits; take the
left fork, then it is 800 m to the camping area. A beach boat-launching
site is nearby. Bring drinking water and firewood.
View Larger Map
Little Waterhouse Lake
Waterhouse Conservation Area
The Waterhouse Conservation Area in Tasmania's north-east contains
many wetland communities, including three major permanent deep-water
lagoons - Blackmans Lagoon and Big Waterhouse and Little Waterhouse
lakes. Little Waterhouse Lake is listed under the Ramsar Convention as
an internationally significant wetland. Waterhouse is popular place for
camping, with several sites available. Other popular uses of the
reserve include hunting, wildlife viewing, fishing, and recreational
vehicle use. On the northern shore of Big Waterhouse Lake is a small
camping area used mainly by duck shooters, but also sometimes by
fishermen. No facilities are provided.
An isolated beach for swimming and by fishermen to launch small
boats. The main vehicle track terminates at the northern end of the
beach where a few fishing shacks are located behind the beach and to
the lee of the boundary rocks. Rason Beach is within the boundaries of
Waterhouse Conservation area, to the west of the village of Tomahawk.