Things To See And Do
Wee Georgie Wood Railway
Prior to adequate roads being built in the area, it was serviced by
the Wee Georgie Wood Railway (now a tourist railway) under its earlier
name of the North Farrell Tramway. The Wee Georgie Wood
Steam Railway is the only operating two foot guage Steam Railway on the
West Coast of Tasmania. It is hauled by a 1925 Romeo
Mechanical Locomotive used on the Lake Margaret Tramway until 1964. The
train operates on the first Sunday plus the last Saturday and Sunday of
each month for season October to June. Rides commence at
10:00am and finish by 4:00pm , the trip takes approx 25 minutes.
The railway originally had 3 locomotives, Wee Georgie Wood, Wee Mary
Wood and a Krauss engine named "Puppy". Wee Mary Wood was never
restored and its chassis is currently in the Ida Bay/Lune River area.
Prior to working in Tullah, Puppy worked in the Duck River region of
the state and was eventually bought by the North Mt Farrell Co. The
name "Puppy" was given due to its high pitched whistle, but it was
originally Krauss number 2640 of 1892. The engine was eventually sold
to Ida Bay in the 1930s where it still is today. The majority of the
original track is now under the waters of Lake Rosebery but a short
length of track close to the Murchison Highway is still in use by the
Wee Georgie Wood Railway, along with some rolling stock.